Saturday 7 April 2012

Darwin, Northern Territory

Well here we are folks, at my first stop for 3 months - The Top End! 2500km from home. 

Some fun facts about Darwin

  • Darwin is the Capital City of the Northern Territory and has an approx populations of 130,000 people. The city itself is built on a low bluff overlooking the harbour. Its suburbs spread out over some area, beginning at Lee Point in the north and stretching to Berrimah in the east—past Berrimah, the Stuart Highway goes on to Darwin's satellite city, Palmerston, and its suburbs.
  • Darwin only has two seasons - Dry season and the wet season. (I got laughed at by the cabbie when I asked how cold the winter was here "there's no winter here you silly girl" ). Dry season lasts from April/May until September/October and brings beautiful weather in Darwin with clear blue skies, balmy nights and warm days.The wet season in Darwin starts around October/November and initially brings hot and steamy weather with the occasional spectacular lightning storm and short but intense rains. At the moment the temperatures are averaging 34 degrees during the day and 25 at night.
  • I was sorely disappointed when I was told you definitely cannot swim at the beach. Well you can if you wish to play Russian Roulette with the crocodiles i was told. Damm! There are some beaches which put out stinger nets but i'm not sure i'm keen to risk it.
  • In Darwin, no-one wears bike helmets!! Its not enforced apparently. If you stick to the foot paths its okay :/ hello head injuries I say.

So I arrived in Darwin, caught a cab out to Berrimah to collect my car I had sent on a car carrier a week prior. Lots of lack of sleep and worrying later there she was all in one piece covered in heaps red dust. With my trusty GPS by my side I set off into the City Centre to meet the NT Medic Agent who gave me my uniform, paperwork and a some hand hygiene gel (hint??). 

I then went and stayed with Megan, Danny and baby Taylor for two nights whilst I sharehouse hunted. What an experience!! You go into peoples houses whilst they essentially sell themselves and the room you'll b staying in. From married couples with witch and warlock posters every where, to a single mother and her teenage son to even a 70 yr old male, I finally found a keeper; Laid back bunch of nurses who live 5 min from hospital - Perfect! So i moved on in to the room I shall call home for the next 3 months. 



       
That same day I started work at the Royal Darwin Hospital where I have done two night shifts in the Maternity ward as a Registered Midwife! How exciting writing RN/RM (pathetic I know!). I was suppose to do another night shift Easter Saturday but alas I was cancelled - agency staff are very expensive public holidays and always seem to be cancelled. So funny things ive encountered
  • "whats the number for the OSO"... blank stare... "you know a wardy"... blank stare continues... "people that push beds?"... ohhh you mean a PCA. In my head i'm thinking now how could a Patient Controlled Analgesia pump push a bed. To which the other midwife clearly reading my mind says "Shes a patient care assistant".  Guess that makes sense - well ill have one of them please! The PCA's are all women too. 
  • The Darwin Hospital has only FOUR ambulances! Only 4! Thats some busy paramedics I say.
  • The paperwork isn't too bad - i was freaking out the thought of how different it would be but alas its easier it seems.
I'm sure there will be more interesting work stories to come! I look forward to doing shifts in the ED :)

So after being cancelled for the shift I decided to make the most of it and go for a drive, I picked a random spot on the map - Wagait Beach. 1 hr and 20 min later i came to this gorgeous beach, no people, no crocodiles nor pub in sight - disappointment +. Nice pics thou. The sand was seriously a million degrees, and I was out in the sun max 20 min and got sun burnt - best my skin harden up pretty quickly.

   


So thats it, my first week in Darwin. 12 more to go and plently more adventures to be had- Litchfield waterfalls, Kakadu National Park, Music Festivals and Nightcliff markets are but some things on the menu. 

Happy Easter guys :) Hope the easter bunny brought you loads of yummy treats! Until next time.

Love Ruff xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment